Wednesday, April 28, 2010

4.89 baby!

We were aiming for 5 million cells collected but ended up just a few shy of that.... it's close enough! I am good to go for transplant!!!


So just in case you want to step into my world for a moment, here is what it is like to harvest stem cells.
Monday-
2 shots of Neupogen, they sting and hurt like hell especially when the nurse isn't being careful.
Blood work needs to be done, that is another stick and I have a bruise from that one.
Over to the hospital to check in and do a bit of surgery. That is an IV and then my port got taken out and a tube stuck in on my left side of my chest. The nurse gave me big warnings on never taping anything on the glue they use to seal the incisions up... and ya know, she taped right over one and it hurt like hell when they had to pull it off later. All my chest muscles are tight, ache and the incisions are sore.


Tuesday and Wednesdy it's cell collection
Each day is 2 neupogen shots, and that makes 12 shots total. I have a lot of band aids.
They hook you up to this super fancy machine that is totally having a bad day and I musyt lay super still to make sure it keeps working. Then you sit for about 6 hours. It's pretty much like going on a car trip with your family, through Kansas, sitting in the middle of the back seat, with your dad driving 55 the entire way and never pulling over. Oh, and the machine doesn't move so when you have to pee, and you will with all the saline they pump into you, they bring in the potty and slide the curtain. I belive a man designed the entire set up.

So we are finally home..... tired, worn out and doing laundry for the next step. Monday we start chemo and then the official transplant is the next monday. Let's get this thing over with.

No comments:

Post a Comment